What Should You Look For in a Software Outsourcing Partner?
Outsourcing software development is a big decision. You’ll be working with a diverse remote team that can add incredible value to your project—but it’s vital to choose wisely so you can get it right. Knowing what to look for in a software outsourcing partner is the first step.
Attributes of an Ideal Software Outsourcing Partner
Here are some critical points to consider when choosing a software outsourcing partner.
1. Track record. What kind of track record does the vendor have with its existing clients? Does the vendor foster long-term, strategic partnerships? Past performance is usually indicative of how an outsourced team operates. Check out their case studies and reach out to past clients for recommendations.
2. Client focus. Does the vendor push pre-defined solutions or work closely with each client, investing the time to get to know teams and their unique needs? You want to choose an outsourcing partner that’s fully invested in your success.
3. Location. How will the vendor’s location(s) complement your project? For complex, business-critical, and enterprise software projects, look for a vendor with expert Agile developers in time zones within your regular business hours and who speak English fluently.
4. Capabilities. What skills does your outsourced team need to have for you to realize your vision? Does the vendor have those capabilities? Can the partner help you see around the corners and illuminate possibilities you might not be aware of?
5. Skills and experience. How does the vendor vet team members? How much do they invest in continued education and training? Do they look for skilled professionals who are problem-solvers and team players? How do they support and encourage open communication? Your ideal team will be on the cutting edge of new technologies and approaches to ensure the best possible results.
LDX Lab vs. Freelancer: Which is Better for Your Project?
6. Purpose-built teams. Will the vendor assemble your team based only on the technical skills needed or currently available resources? Will they work with you to define the skills, experience, and work style you need and guarantee the fit? No two software development projects are alike, so it’s critical to ensure you have the best expertise for the job.
7. Agile approach. How passionate and proficient is the vendor with Agile methodologies like SAFe? How does the vendor run distributed Agile teams, run sprints, and incorporate feedback? Can the vendor help you evolve your own Agile practices? Flexibility is a must to ensure the success of your agile implementation.
8. DevOps approach. How skilled is the vendor with DevOps, DevSecOps, and running a CI/CD pipeline that ensures you get value quickly and continuously? These approaches shorten time-to-value and result in a better product.
9. QA approach. Does the vendor have a dedicated quality assurance and testing practice with robust automated and manual testing? QA is vital to the final product’s success; therefore, the QA approach is equally critical.
You’ve got a great idea, but the success of your software project hinges on the development team. Take the time to research, ask questions, and consider every possible scenario before you choose. The right team for you will be one that ticks all the boxes, not just some of them.
Schedule a call today to learn more about LDX Lab and how we can make your project a success.